Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Change of Heart, of Musical Taste, of Writing Style

ACT I: Scene I:
INT. OFFICE - DAY

Open on FRANKIE, sitting at desk, waiting for inspiration to hit. Angle on Frankie's tired expression.

FRANKIE
(frustrated)
Oh, joy. NaNoWriMo's counterpart, set to take place in April, which is only 15 days away.

Screnzy - or, to those of you who use correct English, Script Frenzy.

I am going to write a script - a screenplay.

The worst part? I have no idea how! But, I will use Scripped.com, so it will all turn out peachy. I hope.

PLOT: Guitar prodigy, Ashley Holmes, runs away from home and joins a punk band called Crash and more-or-less moves in with them. But, when the bassist's girlfriend books the gig of the undiscovered century, she gets a wrist injury. So, the lead singer, aka Declan Hollister, must explain how he knows so much about guitars without being able to play.

CHARACTERS: Ashley, Declan, Joey, Coltrane, Bea, and Mickey, the dog.

SETTING: Somewhere down my street.

TIMELINE: 30 days to write 100 pages.

That's where it ends. 3 1/3 pages A DAY. This does not seem so daunting when you break it down, but I am so used to word count. I have no idea how I will be able to do this.

About the musical taste, I have migrated from my comfortable bed of indie rock and alt pop to garage rock, blues, and punk to get in the mood. For me, this is like admitting defeat because that is ALL my dad listens to, and I said I would always have my own music. Here we go! Foxboro Hottubs, Offspring, and Joe Bonamassa!

Oy. What have I gotten myself into? Ashley and Declan, you better be pretty darn interesting to cover 100 pages.

FRANKIE walks off-screen, leaving behind a swinging computer chair and prepped workspace behind.)

END Scene I

No comments:

Post a Comment