Saturday, June 5, 2010

Book Review!!!

I recently read the book The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. I admit, I watched the movie first. But, in the words of Alton Brown, that's another show.

I thought that it was really, really good. The plot followed through the whole way, there wasn't as much mushiness (mushy-ness?) as there was in the movie, and the characters really stood apart.

The story is set in South Carolina in 1964, during a time of racial segragation.

Lily Owens is living with the haunting memory of her four-year-old self having shot her mother. Since she is gone, Lily is left with her father, who is not the nicest man in the universe. Lily and their maid, Rosaleen, a black woman, leave T. Ray and travel to Tiburon, South Carolina, where Lily finds hope in a form she never expected.

I will not tell you more, because I want you to read it!

This book gets a 5/5 stars from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment